WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Last weekend, the Purdue women's tennis team opened its fall season with an impressive showing at the Miami Ohio Invite. The team picked up two hidden-dual victories against Miami (Ohio) and Xavier, while tying Louisville 3-3.
Hidden duals are a collection of six individual singles matches and three individual doubles matches, facing one program against another. They are intended to replicate the feel of a regular dual match in the spring, but do not count towards either team's overall record. Each contest does count for the players involved.
Three Boilermakers tallied their first wins in a Purdue uniform against the RedHawks, including two junior transfers. Amina Mukhametshina and Silvia Ambrosio previously competed at West Alabama and Marquette, respectively.
"It's always a great feeling to beat someone and earn a point for your team, but it's an even better feeling when it's your very first match on a completely new team," Mukhametshina said.
The newcomer defeated her opponent in straight sets, while only dropping two games in the later. She picked up her second win of the tournament against Xavier and went 3-0 in doubles with sophomore Rafaella Baquerizo.
"Overall, this tournament was a great start for our team," Mukhametshina said. "We played with passion, lots of effort and a positive attitude.
"Of course there is room to improve, but I think our team will be very competitive this season."
Purdue's success this season will be heavily determined by how consistent its lineup performs as a unit, something the program struggled with a year ago. However, results from the Boilermakers' opening tournament look positive. Ambrosio, the team's second transfer, defeated all three of her opponents in singles, while earning a pair of victories in doubles.
"It felt great to start off the tournament with a win," Ambrosio said. "It took a lot of effort and strategy to sweep the weekend, but the team is off to a strong start. We're already developing good chemistry."
Other notable performances include Ena Babic's 3-0 weekend in singles and 2-1 mark in doubles. After dropping a pair of first sets, the freshman remained poised to begin her collegiate career undefeated. Baquerizo also went unbeaten in singles, earning wins against Miami (Ohio) and Xavier at the three-day tournament.
The team will compete in four more fall events before the start of the regular season in January. Its next, the ITA Ohio Valley Regional Championships, begins Oct. 12 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Purdue vs. Louisville
- Abbie Pahz (UL) def. Amina Mukhametshina (PU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
- Tiffany Huber (UL) def. Alex Sabe (PU) 6-2, 6-1
- Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Raven Neely (UL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Ena Babic (PU) def. Maya Smith (UL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
- Mia Schmidt-Jorgensen (UL) def. Zala Dovnik (PU) 7-6, 6-2
- Humberg/Pahz (UL) def. Babic/Ambrosio (PU) 7-6
- Baquerizo/Mukhametshina (PU) def. Huber/Rodrigues (UL) 6-4
- Sabe/Dovnik (PU) def. Neely/Smith (UL) 7-5
Purdue vs. Miami (Ohio)
- Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Nelli Ponomareva (MU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Amina Mukhametshina (PU) def. Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MU) 6-0, 6-2
- Alex Sabe (PU) def. Emily Struble (MU) 6-4, 6-3
- Ena Babic (PU) def. Milana Lysova (MU) 6-3, 6-2
- Makenzie Myers (MU) def. Zala Dovnik (PU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Rafaella Baquerizo (PU) def. Melati Devi (MU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Babic/Ambrosio (PU) def. Ponomareva/Vasiukhina (MU) 6-4
- Baquerizo/Mukhametshina (PU) def. Kalita/Lysova (MU) 6-1
Purdue vs. Xavier
- Lauren Ghidotti (XU) def. Alex Sabe (PU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
- Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Sophia Abelson (XU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- Amina Mukhametshina (PU) def. Elizabeth Bagerbaseh (XU) 6-4, 6-4
- Ena Babic (PU) def. Rachael Reichenbach (XU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Lauren Fitz-Randolph (XU) def. Zala Dovnik (PU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
- Rafaella Baquerizo (PU) def. Zoe Manion (XU) 6-3, 6-2
- Ambrosio/Babic (PU) def. Ghidotti/Abelson (XU) 6-0
- Mukhametshina/Baquerizo (PU) def. Reichenbach/Bagerbaseh (XU) 6-1
- Sabe/Dovnik (PU) def. Manion/Ruether (XU) 6-2