May 15, 1998
For complete coverage of all the regionals, check out FANSonly's Spring Championship site
CHAMPAIGN, Ill.- A magical season has come to an end for the Purdue women's tennis team. The Boilermakers, who had put together their most successful Big Ten season ever with an 8-2 record and fourth-place finish, fell 5-3 at the hands of Indiana in the first round of the NCAA Midwest Region Championships in Champaign, Ill., today. Purdue concludes the season with a 14-11 record and national ranking of 45th.
"This was a great season for us and one that we can build on in the future," said Purdue coach Mat Iandolo. "Indiana has always been one of the best teams in our region and they gave us another tough match. We fought hard and have nothing to hang our heads about."
Unlike in Big Ten dual matches, women's NCAA events start off with six singles matches and followwith three doubles matches, making five wins necessary for a team victory.
Purdue held its own in the first stanza, getting singles wins from senior Mary Beth Maggart and freshmen Erika Quebe and Lisa Walgenbach. Maggart, a three-time All-Big Ten honoree and Purdue's top player, defeated IU's Correne Stout for the third time this season with a 6-2, 1-6, 7-5 decision. Quebe picked up a 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 victory over Zahra Ahamed at No. 3, while Walgenbach knocked off Christy Sharp 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5.
The Boilers and Hoosiers entered doubles play tied at 3-3, and both needed two doubles victories to pull off the 'W.' Unfortunately, it was Indiana that came up with those winsand earned the right to play UCLA in the semifinals tomorrow.
Though Purdue's team season is complete, Maggart and sophomore Jennifer Embry will compete for a doubles title in the NCAA Championships beginning May 25th at Notre Dame. Maggart and Embry are 14-8 this spring and are currently ranked 21st in the nation.
Indiana 5, Purdue 3
1. Mary Beth Maggart (PU) def. Correne Stout (IU) 6-2, 1-6, 7-5
2. Kelly Blanch (IU) def. Jennifer Embry (PU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Erika Quebe (PU) def. Zahra Ahamed (IU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
4. Jessica Anderson (IU) def. Shannon Taheny (PU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Lisa Walgenbach (PU) def. Christy Sharp (IU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Ana Ceretto (IU) def. Laura Avgerinos (PU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Stout/Blanch (IU) def. Embry/Maggart (PU) 8-5
2. Ahamed/Sharp (IU) vs. Taheny/Quebe (PU) 7-5 susp.
3. Becky Wallihan/Kelly Fitzgerald (IU) def. Katy Moran/Avgerinos (PU) 9-7