May 13, 2006
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Eleventh-seeded and ninth-ranked Northwestern put an end to the Purdue women's tennis team's season, as the Wildcats handed the 43rd-ranked Boilermakers a 4-1 loss in a second-round NCAA match Saturday in Evanston, Ill. Purdue finished its campaign with a 14-11 record. Northwestern, now 23-4, advanced to the Sweet 16 with the win.
One day after upsetting 17th-ranked Harvard for their first-ever NCAA tournament win, the Boilermakers found themselves facing a team that already had defeated them twice this spring: once in West Lafayette, and once in Champaign, Ill. The third time, unfortunately, was not the charm for the Boilermakers, who could not overcome Northwestern's talent and home-court advantage.
Northwestern took a 1-0 lead with the doubles point, winning at No. 3 and No. 1. In singles, the Wildcats won the first two matches that came off the court at No. 6 and No. 3.
Freshman Anna Dzeva put Purdue on the board with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Feriel Essghir at No. 5. But shortly thereafter, 13th-ranked Cristelle Grier provided the match-clinching victory: a 6-4, 6-4 victory against Boilermaker sophomore Brooke Beier.
The match concluded the season for Purdue, and also was the last in the career of senior Brittany Minna. The remainder of the Boilermaker lineup, which features three freshmen and two sophomores, will return for the 2006-07 season.
#9 Northwestern 4, #43 Purdue 1
1. #45 Georgia Rose (N) vs. #106 Randi Schuler (P) 6-3, 1-6, 5-3 abandoned
2. #13 Cristelle Grier (N) def. Brooke Beier (P) 6-4, 6-4
3. #35 Alexis Prousis (N) def. Mallory Voelker (P) 6-2, 6-1
4. Stephanie Wooten (P) vs. Jamie Peisel (N) 7-6 (4), 4-0 abandoned
5. Anna Dzeva (P) def. Feriel Esseghir (N) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nazlie Ghazal (N) def. Brittany Minna (P) 6-2, 6-1
1. #11 Prousis/Grier (N) def. Beier/Voelker (P) 8-2
2. Esseghir/Rose (N) vs. Wooten/Schuler (P) 7-4 abandoned
3. Peisel/Ghazal (N) def. Minna/Dzeva (P) 8-3
* Denotes match-clinching victory.
Order of singles finish: 6,3,5,2
Order of doubles finish: 3,1
- P -