April 27, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The fourth-seeded Purdue women’s tennis team was knocked out of the Big Ten Tournament on Saturday by the top seed. The sixth-ranked Michigan Wolverines beat the Boilermakers 4-0.
Purdue (17-5) struggled to get things going all day long. Michigan (21-4) took the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 2. The No. 7 duo of Emina Bektas and Brooke Bolender defeated the No. 28 duo of Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany, 8-5. The Wolverines clinched the point when Mimi Nguyen and Sarah Lee topped Lynda Xepoleas and Daniela Vidal, 8-5.
The Wolverines continued their success in singles as they won all six first sets. Bolender was first to finish as she beat Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum at No. 4, 6-1, 6-3. The No. 48 singles player in the nation, Ronit Yurovsky was next as she beat Xepoleas at No. 2, 6-4, 6-2. Kristen Dodge clinched the win with a victory at No. 6. She defeated Gisella Pere, 6-3, 6-2.
The Boilermakers must now await their NCAA Tournament fate. The selection show will be on Tuesday night.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Michigan
April 27, 2013 at Bloomington, Ind.
(IU Varsity Tennis Courts)
#6 Michigan 4, #28 Purdue 0
1. #25 Emina Bektas (MICH) vs. Mara Schmidt (PUR) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
2. #48 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) 6-4, 6-2
3. #98 Sarah Lee (MICH) vs. Daniela Vidal (PUR) 6-4, 1-4, unfinished
4. Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
5. Amy Zhu (MICH) vs. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Gisella Pere (PUR) 6-3, 6-2
1. #7 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. #28 Mara Schmidt/Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) 8-5
2. Mimi Nguyen/Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) 8-5
3. Kristen Dodge/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) vs. Gisella Pere/Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) 6-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,2,6)