MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The Purdue women's tennis team will not appear in this season's Big Ten Women's Tennis Tournament after falling 6-1 at Minnesota to begin the weekend. The Boilermakers were already a longshot to qualify, but Friday's match was a must-win, given that Indiana defeated Wisconsin 6-1 on the same day. Purdue lost to the Hoosiers 4-3 earlier this season, allowing Indiana to take the advantage in a potential tie-break.
After slipping on courts one and two in doubles, the Boilermakers dropped five of their six singles matches against the Golden Gophers. Freshman Rafaella Baquerizo was the only Purdue player to earn the team a point, defeating Maja Vujic 6-2, 6-1 in the third position.
The Boilermakers return to action Sunday against unranked Wisconsin at noon ET. Purdue enters amid a 13-match win-streak against the Badgers -- extending it to 14 would end the team's own 14-match slide this season. Both live scoring and live streaming of the contest are available on UWBadgers.com.
Minnesota 6, Purdue 1
1. Caroline Ryba (MINN) def. Andjela Djokovic (PUR) 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
2. Tina Kreinis (MINN) def. Alex Sabe (PUR) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (2)
3. Rafaella Baquerizo (PUR) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
4. Annemarie Emme (MINN) def. Deborah Suarez (PUR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Camila Vargas Gomez (MINN) def. Natalia Davila (PUR) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cammy Frei (MINN) def. Caitlin Calkins (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
1. Caitlyn Merzbacher/Mehvish Safdar (MINN) def. Andjela Djokovic/ Rafaella Baqueriso (PUR) 6-2
2. Tina Kreinis/Annemarie Emme (MINN) def. Caitlin Calkins/Marta Ruedas (PUR) 6-2
3. Caroline Ryba/Cammy Frei (MINN) vs. Alex Sabe/Natalia Davila (PUR) 3-5 unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles: (2,1), Singles: (4,3,6,5,2,1)