April 10, 2011
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - In their first outdoor match at home, the Purdue women's tennis team clipped the Wisconsin Badgers (11-9, 3-3) on Sunday at the Schwartz Tennis Center by a 4-3 margin. This marks the fourth Big Ten Conference match the Boilermakers (11-6, 5-2) have claimed with a one point difference score.
First to claim their doubles win was Jennifer Rabot and Mara Schmidt at No. 1 over Jenny Hois and Alaina Trgovich with an 8-5 score over the Badgers. Clinching the doubles point with the same score were the Boilermakers' doubles leaders Anna Dushkina and Gisella Pere (12-8) over Jessica Seyferth and Hannah Berner. For Purdue's sixth doubles sweep of the season, Bhavani Tirumurti and Imogen Golder grabbed the deciding tiebreaker from Nicky Stracar and Aleksandra Markovic 8-7 (7-1) at No. 3 after a back-and-forth match.
Improving to 15-5 and leading her teammates from the fifth doubles spot, sophomore Golder fought Seyferth in the first set, grinding to a 4-all draw before claiming the set 6-4. The second frame came to a 3-3 tie, but again Golder closed it out, taking Purdue's second overall point.
At No. 3 singles, Schmidt, the sole Boilermaker freshman, traded serves with Stracar until breaking the Badger at 4-2 and finishing out the next two games for the set. Schmidt looked to be in control of set No. 2 advancing to a 5-0 lead, but Stracar battled back taking three straight games to get to 5-3. Schmidt got back in gear to put an end to Stracar 6-2, 6-3.
On the other side of the lineup, Purdue's only senior, Tirumurti, topped Trgovich 6-3 in set No. 1 of second singles slot. The Wisconsin netter pushed back, jumping out to a 4-1 second frame lead. The two traded breaks at 2-4 and 2-5 before Trgovich answered with her own 6-2 set. In the third set, Tirumurti only gave the Badger a single game at 1-all and rolled Trgovich 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to decide the match for the Boilermakers.
"It was a great win for us today," said head coach Laura Glitz. "Bhavani continues to do a good job when the match is on the line. She is so tough under pressure."
The Old Gold and Black next face the Big Ten's No. 2 team Northwestern on April 17 for a noon ET dual.
No. 66 Purdue vs. Wisconsin - Agate
Apr. 10, 2011
West Lafayette, Ind. - Schwartz Tennis Center
Purdue (11-6, 5-2) 4, Wisconsin (11-9, 3-3) 3
1. No. 38 Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. Jenny Hois/Alaina Trgovich (Wisc) 8-5
2. Gisella Pere/Anna Dushkina (Purdue) def. Jessica Seyferth/Hannah Berner (Wisc) 8-5
3. Bhavani Tirumurti/Imogen Golder (Purdue) def. Nicky Stracar/Aleksandra Markovic (Wisc) 8-7 (7-1)
Order of Finish: 1, 2*, 3
1. Jenny Hois (Wisc) def. Jennifer Rabot (Purdue) 6-2, 6-3
2. Bhavani Tirumurti (Purdue) def. Alaina Trgovich (Wisc) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
3. Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. Nicky Stracar (Wisc) 6-2, 6-3
4. Hannah Berner (Wisc) def. Anna Dushkina (Purdue) 6-4, 6-3
5. Imogen Golder (Purdue) def. Jessica Seyferth (Wisc) 6-4, 6-1
6. Aleksandra Markovic (Wisc) def. Gisella Pere (Purdue) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 3, 4, 2*