April 7, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The No. 19 Purdue women’s tennis team bounced back with a win on Sunday. The Boilermakers knocked off Iowa, 5-2.
Purdue (13-3, 5-2 B1G) took the doubles match to start off the afternoon. Lynda Xepoleas and Daniela Vidal were first to finish with a win at No. 2. They defeated Katie Zordani and Christina Harazin, 8-3. Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany, the No. 39 doubles pair in the country, held down the top singles spot. The duo clinched the point as it defeated the No. 34 duo in the country, Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch, 8-5.
Iowa (8-10) quickly evened the score in singles. Shelby Talcott knocked off Xepoleas at No. 2, 6-2, 6-1. The Boilermakers regained the lead soon after with a win at No. 4. Bernard-Feigenbaum put up a 6-1, 6-0 thrashing of Harazin. Pere was next with a win at No. 6. She brought Purdue within a point of victory with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Zordani.
Krisztina Kapitany clinched the win with a win at No. 5. The freshman defeated Caitlin Hindmarsh, 6-1, 6-4. The Boilermakers also had a win at No. 3 as Daniela Vidal beat McCulloch, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, to make the final score 5-2.
The Boilermakers return home next weekend for a pair of conference matches. The ladies are scheduled to take on Wisconsin on Saturday and Minnesota on Sunday at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
#19 PURDUE (13-3) 5, IOWA (8-10) 2
1. #85 Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Mara Schmidt (Purdue), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue), 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniela Vidal (Purdue) def, Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-1, 6-0
5. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa), 6-1, 6-4
6. Gisella Pere (Purdue) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 6, 5, 1, 3
1. #39 Schmidt/Kapitany (Purdue) def. #34 Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa), 8-5
2. Xepoleas/Vidal (Purdue) def. Harazin/Zordani (Iowa), 8-3
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (Iowa) vs. Bernard-Feigenbaum/Pere, 6-5 abandoned
Order of Finish: 2, 1
*Results have been corrected. The original lineups were originally reported incorrectly.