April 3, 2007
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Sophomore Mallory Voelker scored an upset win at No. 1 singles, but it was not enough as No. 2 Notre Dame handed No. 46 Purdue a 6-1 loss Tuesday in South Bend.
The Boilermakers dropped to 10-4 while the Fighting Irish improved to 19-1 with their 14th-consecutive victory.
Voelker's three-set win over No. 26 Catarina Thompson was her biggest of the season and snapped a personal two-match losing streak for the reigning Big Ten Player of the Week.
The Dousman, Wis., native won the first set but Thompson evened the match at a set apiece before entering the third set, super tiebreaker. Thompson twice had match points, but was not able to put away Voelker, who pulled out the victory, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9).
Voelker's record this spring is 11-6; she is 9-5 at No. 1 singles with two wins over nationally ranked opponents.
The Boilermakers return home this weekend with a Saturday match vs. Michigan and an Easter Sunday showdown with Penn State. Both duals are slated to start at 11 a.m.
#2 Notre Dame 6, #46 Purdue 1
1. Mallory Voelker (PU) def. #26 Catrina Thompson (ND); 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Christian Thompson (ND) def. Brooke Beier (PU); 6-3, 6-2
3. Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Neela Vaez (PU); 6-2, 7-5
4. Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Cigdem Duru (PU); 6-0, 6-3
*5. #48 Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) def. Anya Dzeva (PU); 6-1, 6-0
6. Kali Krisik (ND) def. Alejandra Boeker (PU); 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,4,5,3,2,1 * indicates clinching match
1. #8 Thompson/Thompson (ND) def. #45 Voelker/Beier (PU); 8-5
*2. Krisik/Tefft (ND) def. Duru/Vaez (PU); 8-3
3. Ciobanu/Rielley (ND) def. Dzeva/Boeker (PU); 8-0
Order of Finish: 3,2,1 * indicates clinching match