March 19, 2014
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 40 Purdue women's tennis team suffered its first shutout of the season, falling to No. 45 Arizona, 7-0, Wednesday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcats pushed their record to 12-1, 1-0 Pac-12 with the win, while the Boilermakers dropped their third straight match and slip to 5-7, 1-2 Big Ten.
Arizona captured the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions. Nicole Robinson and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum were dealt an 8-2 setback at No. 2 by Wildcats Kim Stubbe and Lauren Marker. At No. 3, Andjela Djokovic and Claudia Escribenswere held scoreless against Akilah James and Susan Mc Rann, 8-0.
Purdue was unable to recover from the blow in doubles, dropping five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Bernard-Feigenbaum pushed James into the breaker after recovering from a first set 6-3 loss, winning the second 6-2. The sophomore Boilermaker maintained her momentum, but it wasn't enough as the No. 3 Arizona singles player took a 10-8 victory.
The Purdue women's tennis team will return to its Big Ten Conference schedule on March 28, traveling to Minneapolis, Minn., to take on Minnesota at 5 p.m. ET.
No. 45 Arizona 7, No. 40 Purdue 0
1: No. 43 Mara Schmidt/Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue) vs. Shayne Austin/Lacey Smith (Arizona), DNF
2: Kim Stubbe/Lauren Marker (Arizona) def. Nicole Robinson/Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue), 8-2
3: Akilah James/Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Andjela Djokovic/Claudia Escribens (Purdue), 8-0
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Daniela Vidal (Purdue), 7-5, 2-1
2. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Mara Schmidt (Purdue), 6-1, 6-4
3. Akilah James (Arizona) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Lauren Marker (Arizona) def. Nicole Robinson (Purdue), 6-2, 6-2
5. Shayne Austin (Arizona) def. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue), 6-1, 6-3
6. Laura Oldham (Arizona) def. Andjela Djokovic (Purdue), 6-3, 6-1