March 19, 2014
TEMPE, Ariz. - In a battle of Big 10 versus Pac-12, it was No. 25 Arizona State taking a 5-2 victory from the 40th-ranked Purdue women's tennis team Tuesday at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The loss is the second consecutive for the Boilermakers, who slip to 5-6, 1-2 Big Ten, while the Sun Devils won their eighth straight match and move to 14-2, 1-0 Pac-12.
Arizona State raced out in doubles, capturing wins at Nos. 1 and 2. Boilermakers Natalia Davila and Daniela Vidal suffered just their second loss of the season in the No. 2 spot, an 8-3 decision to Leighann Sahagun and Alexandra Osborne. The point came for the Sun Devils at No. 1 as the unranked tandem of Desirae Krawczyk and Kassidy Jump upended the 43rd-ranked duo of Krisztina Kapitany and Mara Schmidt, 8-4.
Purdue was unable to gain any ground on Arizona State as the action moved to singles. The Sun Devils won the first three matches at Nos. 5, 1 and 2 in straight sets to clinch the dual with a 4-0 advantage. At No. 3, Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum rallied from a first set 6-4 loss to Sahagun by posting a 6-2 victory in the second. The Boilermaker could not complete the comeback though, falling in the breaker, 10-7.
Freshman Nicole Robinson snapped a three-match skid with a win at the No. 4 spot to even her record at 7-7. The West Palm Beach, Fla., native took the first set over Jump, 7-6, and cruised in the second, blanking the Sun Devil, 6-0. Fellow rookie Andjela Djokovic provided the second point for Purdue as she closed out the dual with a 7-5, 6-3, win against Gussie O'Sullivan while playing at No. 6.
The Boilermakers return to the court Wednesday in their second spring break match, playing at No. 45 Arizona (11-1, 1-0 Pac-12). First serves from the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson are scheduled for 1 p.m. PT.
No. 25 Arizona State 5, No. 40 Purdue 2
1. Desirae Krawczyk/Kassidy Jump (Arizona State) def. No. 43 Krisztina Kapitany/Mara Schmidt (Purdue), 8-4
2. Leighann Sahagun/Alexandra Osborne (Arizona State) def. Natalia Davila/Daniela Vidal (Purdue), 8-3
3. Joanna Smith/Stephanie Vlad (Arizona State) vs. Nicole Robinson/Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue), DNF
1. No. 50 Stephanie Vlad (Arizona State) def. Daniela Vidal (Purdue), 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 96 Desirae Krawczyk (Arizona State) def. Mara Schmidt (Purdue), 6-3, 6-1
3. Leighann Sahagun (Arizona State) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue), 6-4, 2-6 (10-7)
4. Nicole Robinson (Purdue) def. Kassidy Jump (Arizona State), 7-6, 6-0
5. Ebony Panoho (Arizona State) def. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue), 6-0, 6-1
6. Andjela Djokovic (Purdue) def. Gussie O'Sullivan (Arizona State), 7-5, 6-3