Jan. 26, 2013
EVANSTON, Ill. - The No. 26 Purdue women's tennis team fell to No. 14 Northwestern 4-3 Saturday in a non-conference matchup of ITA's Kick-Off Weekend.
Purdue (1-1) started the afternoon off by taking the doubles point for the second consecutive time this weekend. Krisztina Kapitany and Mara Schmidt continued their exceptional doubles play with a win at the No. 1 match. The duo defeated No. 42 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton, 8-3. Lynda Xepoleas and Daniela Vidal notched their second doubles win of the season by defeating Northwestern's Veronica Corning and Brittany Wowchuk at the No. 2. Imogen Golder and Gisella Pere were on serve leading the match, 5-4 before the match was abandoned since Purdue clinched the doubles point.
Northwestern (2-0) evened the score after No. 80 Xepoleas fell in her No. 1 match to No. 67 Kate Turvy 7-5, 6-0. Purdue sophomore, Vidal, was also defeated as she went down to Niu 6-3, 6-1. The momentum shifted back to the Wildcats when Kapitany dropped a tough first set 7-5, and went on to lose the second set and the match to Wowchuk 6-3 to give Northwestern a 3-1 lead in the match. The Boilers answered when Pere gave Purdue its second point of the match when she defeated Nida Hamilton 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 6 match.
Northwestern would clinch the match when Schmidt, the No. 108 player in the country, fell to the Wildcats' Veronica Corning at No. 2 7-6, 6-4. Golder would finish up the match by winning her match against Abu Mushrefova, who was forced to retire in the second set due to injury trailing Golder 7-6, 5-5.
The Boilermakers will travel to Huntington, W. Va. Saturday Feb. 9th to play The Thundering Herd of Marshall.
Northwestern 4, Purdue 3
1. Schmidt/Kapitany (PUR) def. Abu Mushrefova/Hamilton (NU) 8-3
2. Xepoleas/Vidal (PUR) def. Corning/Wowchuk (NU) 8-4
3. Golder/Pere (PUR) unfinished Niu/Turvy (NU) 5-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2*
1. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) 7-5, 6-0
2. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Mara Schmidt 7-6, 6-4
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Daniela Vidal (PUR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) 7-5, 6-3
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 7-6, 5-5* won by retirement
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Nida Hamilton (NU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 6, 2, 5*