Purdue Soccer's Season Ends At North Carolina, 7-0

Nov. 21, 2003

Box Score

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The Purdue soccer team's season came to a heartbreaking end Friday night in Chapel Hill, N.C., falling to the No. 1 North Carolina Tar Heels, 7-0, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. The undefeated Tar Heels (24-0-0) will go on to face the winner of the Santa Clara and Portland match, while Purdue heads back to West Lafayette with a final win-loss total of 14-6-3.

"We played a good team, they played with an intense fury and I'm generally impressed with their abilities," said head coach Rob Klatte. "We played hard for 90 minutes, making a conscious effort to score and attack; we felt we were good enough to compete and win, but it didn't go our way."

North Carolina demonstrated why they are the nation's best team right from the outset, piling on the shots while permitting few. The Tar Heels outshot the Boilermakers 10-2 in the first half and received goals from Catherine Reddick and Kacey White.

The Tar Heels' first goal, by Reddick, was scored on a pair of assists from Alyssa Ramsey and Lori Chalupny. The goal was originated by a North Carolina corner kick that was initially punched out by Purdue goalkeeper Lauren Mason, but the Tar Heels managed to retrieve the ball. After resetting their offense, Chalupney booted the ball to Ramsey and she crossed it to Reddick for their first score in the eighth minute.

Four minutes later, the Tar Heels doubled their lead on a goal by White, who was assisted by Chalupny and Lindsay Tarpley.

North Carolina set up its second score after clearing a Purdue free kick deep in the Boilermakers' attacking zone. After moving the ball quickly to the North Carolina end of the field, Chalupny touched the ball to White, who promptly blasted it past Mason in the left corner of the net.

Mason and the Purdue defenders had some success in slowing down the stealthy Tar Heels in the first half, with the freshman goalkeeper making three saves and senior defender Mary Masck with one, off a shot taken by Maggie Tomecka. As has become custom, Mason also made herself known outside the net, stuffing three shots by potential Tar Heel attackers, while the defense cleared out five corner kicks.



Offensively for Purdue, Annette Kent led the team with two shots in the first half. Her first shot sailed high, and her second was picked off by North Carolina goalkeeper Aly Winget. Kent was victimized a second time by Winget midway through the second period. The senior finished the game with a team-high four shots.

North Carolina's offense continued to click into the second period, with 17 shots and five goals. Anne Morrell was responsible for most of the damage in the final 45 minutes, posting two goals and one assist. Also scoring for the Tar Heels in the second frame were Heather O'Reilly, Ramsey and Tomecka.

The Tar Heels set a pair of records, one as a team and individually during Friday's game. Tarpley picked up her seventh and eighth assists of this year's tournament, setting a new NCAA record and, with 11 assists, the Tar Heels set a new team record for most assists in a season with 141, breaking the old record of 138 set in 1997. This record also is believed to be an NCAA record.

Mason continued to excel in the net, despite being showered with shot after shot. Her best saves of the second half included a tip save over the top of the net on a shot taken by Tomecka, a kick save of a Tarpley blast and an interception of a Tarpley header. Mason made 10 saves on the night, breaking her season high for most saves in a game. She made nine last Friday versus DePaul.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago