No. 17 Soccer Dominates Indiana To Advance In Big Ten Tournament

Nov. 7, 2002

Box Score

EAST LANSING, Mich. - The nationally-ranked Purdue women's soccer team defeated in-state rival Indiana, 1-0, on Thursday in the first round of the 2002 Big Ten Tournament at Michigan State. With the win, the Boilermakers improve to 13-4-2; it is the first time in program history Purdue has won their first-round game of the Big Ten Tournament and has tallied 13 wins in a single season.

"Obviously, today was a great victory," said Purdue head coach Robert Klatte. "The team is very excited and they should be, because it's our first Big Ten Tournament victory. This was one of our goals at the beginning of the year - to win that first-round game."

The Hoosiers came out quickly from the start, as they tallied their first corner kick only 3:13 into the game. However, the Boilermakers turned around just as quickly and sophomore forward Lauren Sesselmann took two shots in the next minute, both of which were very near misses.

In the next two and a half minutes, three shots were taken with two by the Hoosiers and one by senior midfielder Tari St. John. And the shooting frenzy continued on both ends of the field, as the Boilermakers had their first corner kick opportunity in the 13th minute.

Purdue and Indiana continued their shooting efforts at both ends of the field, as the shot total was 8-7 in favor of Purdue and 4-2 in favor of Indiana for shots-on-goal at the half. The physicality of the game was dominated by the Old Gold and Black, however, as the halftime fouls split was 12-4, Purdue.

Just before the end of the first half, Purdue made a run at the goal and tallied another corner kick in the 38th minute but was unable to capitalize. The Hoosiers then turned the tide, threatened to score before the half, and tallied two more corner kicks on their end of the field in the 42nd minute. However, the Boilermakers' defense held strong in usual fashion and kept the game knotted at 0-0 at the half.



The second half of the game began and the Old Gold and Black was able to get two more shots from junior forward Annette Kent in the first minute of the second half, one of which was narrowly saved by the Indiana defense after the IU keeper had been drawn out of her goal box and fell in a pile of players.

Both teams' defenses held strong for the remainder of the half, with both teams finding several opportunities to capitalize. The Boilermakers were unable to put the game-winner in the goal during the second half, despite outshooting the Hoosiers, 9-6.

The result at the end of regulation was still 0-0, with the game headed to overtime, for the Boilermakers fourth overtime match-up of the year. During the second half, the physicalness of the game continued and Purdue dominated on both headers and second balls.

It didn't take Purdue long into the overtime period to put the game to an end and take care of the sixth-seeded Hoosiers who were still hanging on, hoping to upset the No. 3 seed.

At the 94:16 mark, Sesselmann was able on the far corner of the six-yard box and waited for the ball, as Kent sent it forward. With a flick of her head and just the right pass from Kent, the ball was into the back of the net and out of the reach of IU keeper Shaunna Daugherty.

"Now, we know a little bit more than we did this morning and we find ourselves as the high seed left in the tournament and that's a great place to be," said Klatte. "We'll play Ohio State and it'll be a good match-up. The history between the two teams goes back awhile and last year in the Tournament, we had an overtime game with them that was hard-fought by both teams. This year we tied them in double-overtime and our defense really was a key part of that.

"Overall, I'm very excited for our players. They responded well to today's game and Sesselmann's header was a great shot to finish it off. I think that the team has been enjoying this win this afternoon, as well they should. We'll enjoy the victory for the moment and face OSU tomorrow at 3 p.m."

The Boilermakers will face the seventh-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes in the semi-final round's early game on Friday. Game time is set for 3 p.m. on the main field at Michigan State. The Buckeyes advanced by overcoming the No. 24 and second-seeded Michigan Wolverines in the 10 a.m. game. The game was tied at 1-1 late in the first half and continued to a tie through regulation and two overtimes. Then in the penalty kicks period, Ohio State was able to put three of their shots away, while Michigan was only able to bury two.

The game can be followed via live stats link on the official site of the Big Ten Conference, Should the 17th-ranked Boilermakers win on Friday, the championship game on Sunday will be broadcast live on 1410 WLAS-AM in Greater Lafayette or via the Official College Sports Pass on

- P -


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago