Aug. 8, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Georgia native Bree Horrocks is just the second player in Boilermaker history to measure six-feet, five-inches tall, and looks to make an immediate impact for the Boilermakers. In addition to her talent on the basketball court, Horrocks was also a standout volleyball player in high school and was ranked 13th in her academic class.
10 Questions with Bree
1. What are three words to describe your game?
2. What is your favorite thing about Purdue so far?
The accessibility to the facilities
3. What have you been doing when you're not playing basketball, going to class or studying?
Hanging out with my teammates, eating and sleeping
4. On a scale of 1-10, how hard have summer practices been? Why?
8. I felt like I did a good job preparing for being here, but the coaches are pushing us to our full extent to make us better.
5. What game are you most looking forward to on this season's schedule?
I'm most excited to play Nebraska, that game always goes into overtime.
6. What upperclassmen has been the most influential for you so far?
Ashley Morrissette, she's been helping with school and basketball
7. What has become your essential college item that you couldn't live without?
My laptop computer
8. What is something about you that most people may not know?
I like to study philosophy and I played the upright bass for five years
9. What is your proudest basketball memory?
Beating Dawson County by 35 my junior in high school after losing one of our top players, and getting to the state championship game my senior year.
10. What is your biggest goal for your Boilermaker career?
I want to be consistent and never let my teammates down. I want be successful on my own, but have it help us achieve as a team.
High School Highlights
Three-sport varsity letterwinner at Buford High School, participating in volleyball and track and field in addition to basketball ... played in the Full Court Fresh 50 Invitational, finishing with eight points, six rebounds and three steals ... named a GACA and Gwinnett County All-Star, in addition to all-metro honorable mention honors ... led her team to a second-place state finish at the Georgia AAA High School championships, falling in state title game, 48-45 ... also earned first team all-county honors and a pair of team awards in volleyball ... four-year academic letterwinner.
Born Oct. 11, 1995 ... full name is Briana Katja Horrocks ... daughter of Mary Nimphius and John Horrocks ... has one sister, Alexis ... intends to major in psychology ... high school coach is Gene Durden ... former teammate of Andraya Carter (Tennessee), Kristina Nelson (Notre Dame), MaKenzie Darrah (Elon), and Maya Dillard (Lipscomb).
Ranked 35 overall by Blue Star Basketball ... named to the preseason Atlanta Top-25 Watchlist and second-team All-County by the Gwinnett Daily Post ... MVP of the Memorial Day Classic ... Fab 5 Peach State Basketball ... Peach State Basketball Elite Basketball Academy All-American ... Tip-Off Club All-Academic honoree (Gwinnett Daily Post) ... two-year Buford High School scholar athlete and honor roll ... AP Scholar Award (2012-13) ... ranked 13th in her academic class.