Jan. 29, 2014
Purdue Game Notes / Penn State Notes
The Last Meeting
January 12, 2014
State College, Pa.
Tipoff: 6 p.m. (ET) on Thursday, Jan. 30
Location: Mackey Arena - West Lafayette, Ind.
Television: Big Ten Network with Eric Collins providing play-by-play and Brooke Weisbrod providing analysis.
Internet: Big Ten Digital Network (http://video.btn.com/allaccess/) and BTN2Go
Radio: Live on WBPE (95.3 BOB-FM) and purduesports.com with Tim Newton providing play-by-play and Tyler Goldberg providing analysis.
The Series: Purdue leads the all-time series with the Lady Lions, 27-17, including a 14-5 advantage in Mackey Arena. Purdue won 11 in a row from 2005 to 2011, but have lost three of their last five in the series, including a 74-63 loss on their home floor in 2012. Purdue dealt the Lady Lions their lone Big Ten loss of the season on Jan. 12, securing an 84-74 victory in State College on ESPN.
The Rankings: Purdue is ranked 19th by the Associated Press and 16th in the ESPN/USA Today Division I Coaches' Poll. Penn State is ranked 12th by the Associated Press and 13th in the ESPN/USA Today Division I Coaches' Poll.
The Lady Lions sit at the top of the Big Ten standings at 6-1 in conference play and 15-4 overall on the season. Senior preseason All-American and All-Big Ten pick Maggie Lucas leads Penn State, scoring 20.9 points per game, but was held to just 17 points in her first meeting with the Boilermakers. Other standouts for Penn State include seniors Ariel Edwards and Dara Taylor, who both average double-figures on the year. Edwards chips in 14.3 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, while Taylor scores 11.8 points and leads the Big Ten with three steals per game.
Four vs. Four
Both Purdue and Penn State ride four-game win streaks into Thursday's meeting as the Boilermakers own four straight wins after falling to Michigan on Jan. 15, while Penn State hasn't lost since falling to Purdue on Jan. 12. During the stretch, Purdue is averaging more than 80 points per game, while Penn State is surrendering just 50 points per game to opponents.
Controlling the Glass
The Boilermakers' recent success has been connected to their work on the boards as they've outrebounded their last four opponents. Purdue has an edge of 11.5 boards per game, which is comparable to the Lady Lions 12.1-rebound edge over opponents on the season. In the Jan. 12 meeting, Penn State had a slight edge on the glass, 51-49, as both teams secured more than 20 offensive rebounds.
Purdue is shooting a conference-best 39.6 percent from behind the arc in Big Ten play, including Courtney Moses' 48.2 percent. Moses and Fellow senior KK Houser are sitting first and second in conference play in three-point makes per game, making a combined 6.3 per game (3.4 and 2.9, respectively).
Moses surpassed 1,500 career points at Illinois, remaining 19 points away from matching All-American Stacey Lovelace and 57 points shy of matching head coach Sharon Versyp on the Boilermakers' career list. Houser is making her way up the Purdue career scoring chart as well, passing Lisa Jahner for 20th all-time with 1,215 points.
Purdue will be hosting "90's Night" for the gameday promotion, and the first 2,500 fans will receive mini-replicas of the Boilermakers' 1999 NCAA Championship banner.
- This is the 39th season in Purdue Women's Basketball history. The Boilermakers are 762-403 all-time.
- Purdue is 176-84 under head coach Sharon Versyp, who is in her eighth season with the Boilermakers. She has a career record of 293-149.
- The Boilermakers are 355-179 all-time against Big Ten Conference opponents.
- Purdue is ranked for the 85th time in their last 88 games, sitting 19th in the AP Poll and 20th in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll.
- Purdue is 398-122 all-time at home, including a 203-62 mark against Big Ten opponents.
- The Boilermakers are 210-121 all-time in the month of January, including a 118-39 record at home and an 8-2 mark on Jan. 30.
- Purdue is 24-13 all-time in its 21st game of the season.
- The Boilermakers are 101-142 all-time against ranked opponents, 85-87, when both Purdue and its opponent are ranked and 48-116 versus higher-ranked teams. Purdue is 2-10 all-time against the No. 12 team in the country.