Jan. 28, 2011
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -
INDIANA (8-12, 2-6 Big Ten) at PURDUE (14-7, 4-4 Big Ten)
Tipoff: noon ET on Sunday, Jan. 30
Location: West Lafayette, Ind. - Mackey Arena (14,123)
Television: live on the Big Ten Network with Leah Secondo providing play-by-play and Stephanie White analysis.
Web Stream: none
Live Stats: available via Gametracker at purduesports.com
Radio: live on WBPE (95.3 BOB-FM) and purduesports.com with Tim Newton providing play-by-play and Jane Schott analysis.
The Series: Purdue leads 45-25
Promotions: Alumnae Day, Boilermaker Blackout (wear black to the game) and postgame youth clinic.
Indiana (8-12, 2-6) is coming off a bye on Thursday and is looking to end a six-game skid that started with a loss at Ohio State just before the Boilermakers defeated IU on Jan. 9. The Hoosiers opened conference play with a 71-69 home win against Northwestern followed by an 80-79 overtime victory at Minnesota on Jan. 2. Senior Jori Davis leads the Hoosiers in scoring and rebounding, averaging 18.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per contest. Hope Elam contributes 10.9 ppg and Whitney Lindsay dishes out a team-high 3.9 assists per game.
This is the 71st meeting between Purdue and Indiana in women's basketball and the second of the season. The Boilermakers defeated the Hoosiers 55-50 on Jan. 9 to retain possession of the Barn Burner Trophy. Purdue holds a 45-25 series advantage, including a 16-4 mark in the last 20 matchups and 8-2 in the last 10 games. The Boilermakers have a three-game win streak against the Hoosiers and are 19-10 all time in West Lafayette. The last time these two teams met in Mackey Arena was on Dec. 31, 2009, with Purdue coming away with a 76-66 win. The last IU victory at Purdue was Jan. 14, 2008, 66-54.
Purdue plays host to No. 18/21 Iowa on Thursday, Feb. 3 at 6:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.
Last Time Out - SIU Edwardsville
- Alex Guyton scored a career-high 16 points against the Cougars. She finished 6 of 8 from the field, 4 of 4 from the free throw line while recording eight rebounds (4 offensive) and a game-high two blocks.
- Dee Dee Williams put together a complete game with eight points, two rebounds, two assists, a block and a season-high five steals. She was 3 of 4 from the field and 2 of 2 from the free throw line.
- Antionette Howard was Purdue's second leading scorer with 10 points and six rebounds.
- Purdue fell behind 7-0 to start the game, but responded with a 32-7 run, highlighted by 11 unanswered points by the Boilermakers.
- The Boilermakers held SIUE scoreless for the first 5:25 of the second period, outscoring the Cougars 8-0. Purdue then held SIUE without a field goal for 7:07 from 10:40 to 3:33 in the second half.
- Purdue held SIUE to just 23.2% on 13 of 56 from the floor, the lowest for an opponent since the Boilermakers limited Murray State to 12.2% on Dec. 12, 2010.
- The Boilermakers outscored SIUE 30-8 in the paint.
- All 10 Boilermakers scored and each logged double-digit minutes.
Purdue is tops in the Big Ten for field goal percentage defense and second in scoring defense, holding teams to an average of 36.7 percent from the field and 56.7 points per game. The Boilermakers rank 55th and 65th and 55th nationally in the two categories. Purdue is also second in the Big Ten in rebounding defense, limiting opponents to an average of 32.9 rebounds per game. Earlier this season, Murray State scored only 25 points and shot 12.2 percent against Purdue. Both totals are the lowest this season by an opponent. Purdue held Southern Illinois to 36 total points and 27.5 percent from the field and SIUE to 39 points and 23.2 percent FG%. The Boilermakers have only allowed one opponent to reach 50.0 percent from the field - Notre Dame (31 of 62; 50.0%). Purdue has held 13 teams under 40 percent field goal percentage and 10 teams to 56 points or less.
By The Numbers
Purdue is 12-3 when it outrebounds its opponents, is 5-0 when shooting 50 percent from the field or better and is 8-0 when scoring 70 points or more. Oddly enough, Purdue is 10-0 against non-conference opponents when winning the battle of the boards, but in Big Ten games, three of the Boilermakers' four losses have come when outrebounding the other team and Purdue was outrebounded in two of its four wins.
By The Numbers - Free Throw Edition
Purdue is 14-2 when making equal or more free throws than its opponent and 0-5 when getting outscored at the charity stripe.
Howard Plays Big
Junior Antionette Howard has been an important contributor this season and in the last three games has the Boilermakers' highest scoring and rebounding averages at 11.3 points and 6.0 boards per game. On the season, the Duluth, Ga., native is second on the team in assists, third in rebounding and fourth in scoring. Howard scored a career-high 18 points against Penn State on Jan. 20 and had a career-high 10 rebounds at Northwestern on Jan. 2.