Ersland lands trio of top-100 recruits, adding 11 to roster
Ben Thornton's pin at 125 was the difference to win the dual on the second criteria
Purdue finishes dual season at 8-7, 3-6 B1G
Boilermakers take three bouts from No. 13 Minnesota
Luke Welch, Dylan Lydy and Jacob Morrissey victorious
• Coached Kendric Maple to the 2017 U.S. Open Men's Freestyle National Championships title at 61 kg ... coached Griffin Parriott to the 2017 UWW Junior Freestyle National Championships title at 70 kg.
• The recruiting Class of 2016 was ranked No. 6 by FloWrestling, No. 7 by InterMat and No. 8 by WIN Magazine.
• In three seasons, Purdue has had 14 NCAA Championships qualifiers and 12 Big Ten Championships placewinners.
• Eight Boilermakers qualified for the NCAA Championships in 2015 to match a program high ... it was only the third time in program history eight advanced (1993, 2003) and it was the most qualifiers since 2010.
• In 2015, Tony Ersland was one of nine head coaches that were in their first season as a Division I head coach and one of 13 coaches that were in their first year at the helm of their respective program ... his eight NCAA qualifiers were the most among both groups ... he was also the only coach among both groups to have his team in the final USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll.
• During Tony Ersland's three seasons, the Boilermakers have appeared in the USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll 17 times.
• Coached Purdue's first Midlands champion since 1963 in Chad Welch.
• Coached the first two-time Big Ten Wrestler of the Week in Purdue history in Danny Sabatello.
• Twenty-seven Boilermaker wrestlers have earned Academic All-Big Ten Conference honors ... set a program high with 10 Academic All-Big Ten selections in 2016 ... the team also obtained the highest core GPA in program history.
During his 20 years as a Division I wrestling coach, Tony Ersland has played an integral role in developing student-athletes that are accomplished on the mat and nationally recognized. He has had nearly 100 wrestlers qualify for the NCAA Championships, with 28 earning All-America honors and four finishing at the top of the podium. Two of his pupils, Jordan Burroughs and Jake Herbert, earned the highest honor a collegiate grappler can receive in the Dan Hodge Award. Ersland continued to develop Burroughs on the international stage as he claimed the 2011 and 2013 World titles at 74 kg. In 2012, Burroughs claimed Olympic gold in London.
Ersland came to Purdue after serving as an assistant coach at Nebraska for eight seasons. While on staff, the Huskers tallied a 102-41-2 dual record, recorded seven top-20 team finishes at the NCAA Championships and grapplers earned 17 All-America honors.
Prior to his post at Nebraska, Ersland coached the Cyclone Wrestling Club in Ames, Iowa. Ersland worked with Iowa State NCAA champions Trent Paulson (157) and David Zabriskie (285) among other multiple NCAA qualifiers and All-Americans.
His familiarity with the Big Ten extends beyond his time at Nebraska. From 2000-05, Ersland was the head assistant wrestling coach at Northwestern, and he also served as a coach and board member for the Wildcat Wrestling Club.
He was the head assistant wrestling coach at Northern Illinois in 1999 and 2000 after getting his start as a graduate assistant at Central Michigan from 1997 to 1999.
On the mat, Ersland wrestled for the University of Iowa under legendary coach Dan Gable and was a part of three-straight NCAA team championships (1995-97) and four Big Ten Championships (1994-97). During his senior season in 1997, Ersland finished one match shy of All-America honors at 177 pounds.
The Humboldt, Iowa, native excelled in the classroom as a four-time Academic All-Big Ten selection and Board of Control Athletics Award winner, and was bestowed with Iowa wrestling's J. Donald McPike Award, given to the senior on the team with the highest grade-point average.
Ersland earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology from Iowa (1997) and a Master of Arts in athletic administration from Central Michigan (1999).
Ersland and his wife, Carolyn, have twin sons, Mason and Jaxon.