Three wrestlers provide first-hand accounts from summer internships
Redshirt senior, NCAA qualifier Luke Welch named Most Outstanding Wrestler
Action resumes Friday with session III at 11 a.m. ET
News and notes on Purdue Athletics
Boilermakers unable to win in Friday's blood round
• Two-time Academic All-Big Ten selection (2017, 2018)
• NCAA Championships 141-pound qualifier (2018)
2017-18 / AS A REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE
Awards & Honors
• Academic All-Big Ten
• NWCA All-Academic
• Purdue Wrestling's Most Improved Wrestler
• Purdue Wrestling's Most Dedicated Wrestler
• Competed at Michigan State Open (11/5)
• Competed at Navy Classic (11/18)
• Competed at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (12/1-2)
• Placed fourth at Midlands Championships (12/29-30)
• Placed fourth at Big Ten Championships as the No. 5 seed (3/3-4)
• Competed at NCAA Championships as the No. 15 seed (3/15-16)
Career Highs Set
• Wins (26), dual wins (12), Big Ten dual wins (6), non-conference dual wins (6), tournament wins (14), decisions (17), major decisions (6), bonus point wins (8), first (86) and third (103) period points, riding time (55:39), takdowns (75), riding time points (18), total points (267), points per match (6.4), dual points (43)
• Has had a breakout season at 141 after wrestling at 149 in his rookie campaign ... compared to last season, he surpassed his win total by double-figures, doubled his takedown total, increased his average points per match to 6.4 compared to 5.9, resulting in a +107 total points scored.
• One of four Boilermakers to finish with more takedowns since Cashé Quiroga’s 94 in 2013-14.
• Made his career debut in the national rankings at No. 16 in early February ... Danny Sabatello was the last ranked 141-pounder, closing out the 2015-16 season at No. 20 ... spent five weeks on the national rankings, climbing as high as No. 13 in the final poll (3/6) ... before he was ranked, Limmex had three wins over top-18 opponents, outscoring them 19-10.
• Earned automatic berth to first NCAA Championships and was tabbed as the No. 15 seed ... was the first Purdue 141-pounder to be seeded at NCAAs ... met Wisconsin’s Eli Stickley, the fourth meeting of the season between the two, in the opening round, with Stickley edging Limmex 3-2 on riding time ... bounced back with a 14-2 major decision over A.C. Headlee of North Carolina for his second win over the Tar Heel during the season ... riding time was once again the difference in a 3-2 wrestleback loss to Iowa’s Vince Turk.
• Finished above his No. 5 seed by taking fourth at the Big Ten Championships ... the fourth-place finish by was the best showing at 141 since Brandon Nelsen was fourth in 2013 ... No. 2 Nick Lee of Penn State won the third-place match with a 15-5 major decision ... posted a 3-2 decision over eighth-seeded Stickley of Wisconsin in the consolation semifinals ... qualified for NCAAs with a 6-4 quarterfinal upset of No. 4 Chad Red of Nebraska ... it was the second time Limmex had beat Red, who would go on to place seventh at NCAAs, during the season.
• Started all 16 duals for Purdue, putting together a 12-4 record and winning six Big Ten dual bouts ... closed out the Big Ten dual season with four straight wins ... has started 24 consecutive duals dating to Jan. 13, 2017.
• Avenged a 6-3 first match of the season loss to Stickley with a dramatic late takedown for a 6-4 win that secured the 25-15 dual win for Purdue ... Limmex trailed 4-3 with 21 seconds remaining when he got the winning takedown ... his 1:10 of riding time earned him the extra point.
• Blasted Michigan State’s two-time NCAA qualifier Javier Gasca with a double-leg takedown in sudden victory to take a 7-5 match ... the match-winning shot came just eight seconds into sudden victory.
• Avenged a 7-2 Midlands semifinal loss to Indiana’s Cole Weaver by upsetting the 13th-ranked Hoosier 4-2 in the dual ... Limmex evened the match at 2-2 with an escape at the top of the third period ... in a match that saw limited scoring opportunities, Limmex capitalized with a short-time takedown and strong mat returns to secure the upset.
• Put the first takedown on the scoreboard and overcame a second period rideout with a takedown in the third on his way to a 5-3 upset of ninth-ranked Red of Nebraska ... the win marked the highest-ranked opponent Limmex has beaten in his career.
• Unseeded, Limmex placed fourth at the Midlands Championships ... posted a 5-2 record with four of his five wins coming over seeded opponents ... had a pair of major decisions ... his fourth-place performance was the best showing ever for a Purdue 141-pounder and he became the first to place at the weight since Juan Archuleta was seventh in 2009.
• Fell one match short of placing at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational ... upset No. 18 Michael Longo of Oklahoma 10-5 in wrestlebacks.
2016-17 / AS A REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
Awards & Honors
• Academic All-Big Ten
• Competed at Eastern Michigan Open (11/5)
• Roadrunner Open runner-up (11/20)
• Competed at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (12/2)
• Competed at Big Ten Championships (3/4)
• Competed in freestyle at University Nationals at 65 kg (6/4)
• Purdue’s 149-pound starter in 13 of 16 duals.
• Had a season-best six-match winning streak from Nov. 18 to 20 ... that run included his 4-1 runner-up finish at the Roadrunner Open ... registered four decisions and two technical falls in those six matches and outscored his opponents 64-20.
• Missed time mid-season due to an injury at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational ... unable to compete in SIU Edwardsville dual and Midlands Championships.
• Returned to the lineup against Indiana on Jan. 13 for his first match since Dec. 2 when he took an injury default at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.
• Posted first Big Ten dual victory with a 13-2 major decision against Maryland’s Adam Whitesell ... he scored a takedown in each period and earned a four-point nearfall early in the match.
• Won both matches of a double-dual weekend with Nebraska and Minnesota ... defeated Nebraska’s Collin Purinton 7-3 thanks to a first period takedown, a four-point nearfall in the second and added 1:30 of riding time ... followed with an 8-4 win over Carson Brolsma of Minnesota ... overcame a 4-2 first period deficit with takedowns in the second and third periods.
2015-16 / AS A FRESHMAN
• Took third at 138 pounds at Super 32 Challenge in 2014
• 2013 FloNationals 126-pound champion
• Won three Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 3 titles at three different weights (2013: 130; 2014: 135; 2015: 140) ... captured 2013 title with a 10-2 major decision and registered a 17-2 technical fall in 3:42 to claim 2014 championship
• Nine of his 12 career MHSAA tournament matches resulted in bonus points (5 TF, 4 MD) and outscored opponents 150-23
• Closed out high school career among the nation's top-10 ranked wrestlers at 138 ... No. 4 by Amateur Wrestling News, No. 5 by InterMat, No. 6 by WIN Magazine and No. 7 by Flowrestling
• High school record of 127-9
• Full Name: Nathan Paul Limmex
• Major: Chemical Engineering
• Birthday: March 29, 1996
• City Born: Grand Rapids, Michigan
• Parents: Terry and Sandy Limmex
• Notes: High school teammate of Devin Schroder