May 1, 1998
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - One down, two to go. The Purdue men's tennis team defeated Minnesota 4-2 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Championship tournament in Champaign, Ill., today, avenging a quarterfinal loss to the Golden Gophers a year ago and a 4-3 loss in Minnesota earlier this season. The win allows the Boilermakers (13-9), seeded third, to advance to the semifinals where they will meet second-seeded Northwestern. The Wildcats defeated No. 7 seed Indiana 4-1 to advance.
"Everyone came to play and picked it up a level," said Purdue coach Tim Madden. "I'm very happy with how we're playing right now." Purdue once again got off on the right foot by winning the doubles point. The No. 1 duo of juniors Cris James and Derek Myers manhandled Minnesota's Tom Chicoine and Martin Michalowski, handing the Gopher pair an astounding 8-0 loss. Junior Jamie Gordon and freshman Jason Marshall also teamed up for a victory to help Purdue to the early 1-0 lead.
"We made a serious statement with our doubles play, especially at No. 1," said Madden. "And that certainly carried over into singles play."
Indeed it did, as the Boilermakers benefited from straight-set wins by James, Myers and senior Steve Brizendine en route to the victory. James knocked off Adam Selkirk 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2, and Myers won 6-3, 6-1 over Michalowski at No. 3 to snap a four-match losing skid. Brizendine provided the clinching win with a 7-6, 6-4 decision over Martin Kristofferson at No. 6.
Revenge played a major role in the win over Minnesota and will also be a key motivation when the Boilers hit the courts against the Wildcats. Northwestern, currently ranked 28th in the nation, narrowly defeated Purdue 4-3 in Lafayette on Feb. 28. "We definitely wanted to pay back Minnesota," said Madden. "Now we're anxious to get some sweet revenge against Northwestern." Tomorrow's semifinal match against the Wildcats will begin at 9 a.m.
Purdue 4, Minnesota 3
1. Tom Chicoine (UM) def. Jamie Gordon (PU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Cris James (PU) def. Adam Selkirk (UM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Derek Myers (PU) def. Martin Michalowski (UM) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jon Svensson (UM) def. Jason Marshall (PU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Dan Swan (PU) vs. Jorge Duends (UM) 7-5, 2-6, 4-3 susp.
6. Steve Brizendine (PU) def. Martin Kristofferson (UM) 7-6, 6-4
1. James/Myers (PU) def. Chicoine/Michalowski (UM) 8-0
2. Gordon/Marshall (PU) def. Parry/Duenas (UM) 8-3
3. Selkirk/Kristofferson (UM) def. Cozad/Swan (PU) 8-4