April 26, 1998
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The Purdue men's tennis team defeated Michigan 4-3 in Ann Arbor today to close out the regular season. This is the Boilers' second consecutive win and third victory overall against the Wolverines since the Purdue program began in 1925.
Today's match was a battle for the No. 3 seed in the Big Ten Championship tournament which will be held April 30-May 3 at Illinois. Purdue is now 12-9 (7-3 Big Ten), while Michigan, which has lost two in a row, drops to 12-7 (7-3 Big Ten). Despite similar conference records, Purdue claims the No. 3 seed due to the win in head-to-head competition.
"The team is ecstatic," said Purdue coach Tim Madden. "We wanted to make a statement before the Big Ten tournament and we did that. We're at an all-time high right now."
Strong doubles play sparked the Boilers, as the pairs of juniors Cris James and Derek Myers and junior Jamie Gordon and Jason Marshall both earned victories to give Purdue the early 1-0 edge.
Needing just three singles wins for the outright victory, the Boilermakers rose to the challenge. Senior Steve Brizendine claimed his second straight victory with a straight set decision over Jake Raiton, while Marshall won his sixth in a row with a 6-3, 7-6 victory over John Long.
It was Gordon, however, who lifted the Boilers over the top with a heroic 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 win against David Paradzik at No. 1.
"That was a fierce match," said Madden. "Jamie really stepped it up physically and emotionally in the third set."
Purdue will play the No. 6 seed in the second round of the conference tournament on May 1. Official seedings will be released April 27.
Purdue 4, Michigan 3
1. Jamie Gordon (PU) def. David Paradzik (UM) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. Matt Wright (UM) def. Cris James (PU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Will Farah (UM) def. Derek Myers (PU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jason Marshall (PU) def. John Long (UM) 6-3, 7-6
5. Brad McFarlane (UM) def. Dan Swan (PU) 7-6, 5-7, 6-3
6. Steve Brizendine (PU) def. Jake Raiton (UM) 6-3, 6-2
1. James/Myers (PU) def. Arvid Swan/Peter Pusztai (UM) 8-5
2. Gordon/Marshall (PU) def. Wright/Raiton (UM) 8-6
3. Long/McFarlane (UM) def. Swan/G.T. Cozad (PU) 9-7