April 26, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The ninth-seeded Purdue Boilermakers were bounced from the Big Ten Tournament by the top seed on Friday. No. 4 Ohio State beat No. 70 Purdue, 4-0.
Ohio State (29-2) came out hard and consistent in doubles. The Buckeyes first got a win at No. 1 as the No. 14 duo in the country of Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith beat the No. 89 tandem of Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko, 8-1. Ohio State clinched the point with a win at No. 2. The No. 75 pair of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen knocked off Aaron Dujovne and Diego Acosta, 8-3.
Purdue (19-12) had a tough go in singles as well. The No. 88 singles player, McCarthy, defeated Dujovne at No. 4, 6-0, 6-2, to make the score 2-0. Next was Van Engelen who defeated Krocsko at No. 5. The Buckeye won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. The match was clinched at No. 2 as the No. 12 player in the country, Blaz Rola, defeated Mark Kovacs, 6-1, 6-3.
Tatarczyk, Mateus Silva, and Acosta were left on the court for the Boilermakers. Tatarczyk was two points away from winning the first set at No. 1 over the No. 9 singles player, Kobelt, before he eventually dropped it, 7-6 (2). Silva was at No. 6 and was all square with the No. 95 singles player, Chris Diaz. They were tied at 5-5 in the first set when the match was abandoned. Acosta was a couple points from taking his first set at No. 3 from the No. 67 singles player, Smith. Acosta dropped the set, 6-4, and was tied at one in the second when the match was halted.
The Boilermakers must now await their NCAA Tournament fate which will be announced early next week. Purdue's 19 wins this season are the most in 26 years and rank fourth most in program history.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Ohio State
Apr 26, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#1 Ohio State 4, #9 Purdue 0
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Szymon Tatarczyk (PURDUE) 7-6 (7-2), 2-0, unfinished
2. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 6-1, 6-3
3. #67 Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Diego Acosta (PURDUE) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
4. #88 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Aaron Dujovne (PURDUE) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 6-1, 6-4
6. #95 Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Mateus Silva (PURDUE) 5-5, unfinished
1. #14 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #89 Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 8-1
2. #75 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PURDUE) 8-3
3. #46 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) vs. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 6-2, unfinished
Purdue 17-12; National ranking #9
Ohio State 29-2; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,5,2)
Quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament
Rankings reflect tournament standings
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:00