April 25, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The ninth-seeded Purdue men's tennis team is moving on to the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament after a 4-0 victory over the No. 8 seed Wisconsin. The win snapped an 11-consecutive loss streak to the Badgers and was the Boilermakers' first victory in the series in a decade.
Purdue (19-11) played one of its most complete matches of the season on Thursday morning. The Boilermakers dominated the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 3. Pawel Poziomski and Mark Kovacs were first as they defeated Petr Satral and Jakhongir Jalaov at No. 3, 8-1. The No. 89 doubles team in the country of Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko upset the No. 78 tandem nationally of Alexander Kostanov and Billy Bertha at the top spot, 8-4.
The Boilermakers then took five of the six first sets in singles against Wisconsin (13-12). Mateus Silva was first to get on the board with a victory at No. 6. The freshman won 12 of the final 13 games after trailing 3-0 in the first set to defeat Alexander Kokorev, 6-3, 6-1. Aaron Dujovne brought the team score to 3-0, the same score Purdue led Wisconsin by the first time the teams met this season before Wisconsin won the final four matches, with a dominant win at No. 4. He won 6-3, 6-1 over Billy Bertha and narrowly missed a perfect second set after leading 5-0 in the frame.
Tatarczyk ended the match with a win at the top singles spot. The junior knocked off Satral, 6-4, 6-2 to give the Boilermakers the 4-0 win. Kovacs was heading to a third set at No. 2 when the match was halted. Krocsko was up a set, leading 4-3 in the second, and led 30-0 in the game when his match was abandoned at No. 5. Poziomski trailed by a set and 4-2 in the second at No. 3.
The Boilermakers advance to the quarterfinals where they will face the No. 1 seed, and No. 4 team in the country, the Ohio State Buckeyes. The hosting Buckeyes beat the Boilermakers 7-0 earlier this season on Ohio State's indoor courts. That match's recap and results can be found here
Live results can be found on PurdueSports.com for the 9 a.m. ET match. Fans can also follow the men's tennis official Twitter feed, @PurdueMT, for live updates.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Wisconsin
April 25, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#9 Purdue 4, #8 Wisconsin 0
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PURDUE) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 3-6, 6-2, unfinished
3. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) vs. Pawel Poziomski (PURDUE) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. Aaron Dujovne (PURDUE) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jakhongir Jalaov (WIS) vs. Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Mateus Silva (PURDUE) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
1. #89 Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) def. #78 Alexander Kostanov/Billy Bertha (WIS) 8-4
2. Alexander Kokorev/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) vs. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PURDUE) 4-5, unfinished
3. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) def. Petr Satral/Jakhongir Jalaov (WIS) 8-1
Purdue 19-11; Big Ten seeding #9
Wisconsin 13-12; Big Ten seeding #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,4,1)
First Round of B1G Tournament
*Rankings reflect tournament seeding