IOWA CITY, Iowa – The Purdue men’s tennis team 10-14 (2-7) ended its away schedule Sunday with a 4-3 loss at Iowa, finishing 1-5 on the road overall. The Boilermakers earned the lone win at Nebraska on Friday during the first dual of their three-day trip.
Purdue is also a frustrating 1-4 in neutral site matches this season, but the team can improve that mark at Big Tens later this month. The Boilermakers will likely need to make it semifinals of that tournament and sweep their last three home duals to earn a spot in the NCAA bracket. Purdue opens the weekend slate against No. 48 Penn State on Friday. First served is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET outdoors at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
1. #92 Gergely Madarasz def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-0, 6-0
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Maksymilian Raupuk (PUR): 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Mateo Julio (PUR): 6-2, 6-4
4. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR): 6-4, 6-1
5. Athell Bennett (PUR) def. Will Davies (UI) 6-2, 7-6(9)
6. Javier Rodriguez (PUR) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Larsen/Allaf (UI) vs. Julio/Sochurek (PUR): 4-3
2. Davies/Smietana (UI) def. #68 Bennett/Raupuk (PUR): 6-1
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Hanayama/Madarasz (PUR): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3) Singles (1,3,4,5,6,2)