March 13, 2013
FRESNO, Calif. - The Purdue men’s tennis team picked up a road win on Wednesday as the Boilermakers defeated Fresno State. The Boilermakers defeated the Bulldogs, 4-3.
Purdue (12-3) kept its perfect streak alive for wins when the team takes the doubles point. The Boilermakers won the hard-fought point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3. Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko started things off with an 8-3 win over Nikolas Papic and Jeremy Quiroz. The Bulldogs leveled doubles at one with a win at No. 1. Reid deLaubenfels and Sam MacNeil knocked off Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne, 8-4. The Boilermakers bounced back and clinched the point when Pawel Poziomski and Mark Kovacs defeated Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Felip Fritz, 8-6, at No. 3.
Krocsko gave Purdue a 2-0 lead with a blowout win at No. 5. The senior took down MacNeil, 6-2, 6-0. Mateus Silva brought the Boilers within a point of victory with a dominant win of his own at No. 6. The freshman knocked off Quiroz, 6-2, 6-4. Dujovne clinched the win and gave Purdue the 4-0 advantage with a 6-1, 6-2 thrashing of Papic at No. 4.
Fresno State (4-11) took the final three matches. Nakireddi defeated Kovacs at No. 2, 6-4, 6-1. Next, Fritz defeated Acosta, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 3. The match wrapped up when deLaubenfels won at No. 1 over Tatarczyk, 6-3, 7-5 to bring the final score to 4-3.
The Boilermakers are now 1-0 all-time against Fresno State.
Purdue concludes its spring break trip with a Friday matchup at Santa Clara. The Boilermakers and Broncos will square off at 5 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Fresno State
March 13, 2013 at Fresno, Calif.
(Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center)
Purdue 4, Fresno State 3
1. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-3, 7-5
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Mark Kovacs (PUR) 6-4, 6-1
3. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Diego Acosta (PUR) 7-5, 6-4
4. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-1, 6-2
5. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-4
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Diego Acosta/Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 8-4
2. Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Nikolas Papic/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-3
3. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,4,2,3,1)