Feb. 16, 2013
Wright State Box Score | Valparaiso Box Score
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The No. 69 men's tennis team snapped a two match losing streak by picking up wins against Wright State and Valparaiso on the Basham Courts.
Purdue (8-2) started strong against the Raiders in the first match of the day. In the first matchup between the schools, the Boilermakers took control from the opening serve. Pawel Poziomski and Mark Kovacs got the team rolling with a doubles win at No. 3. The duo knocked off Evan Neuman and Myles Harris, 8-1. Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne clinched the point with a spirited win at No. 1. The team put together stretches of perfectly place drop shots backed up by overpowering forehands to beat Hayden Joblin and Jamison Clark, 8-6.
In singles play, Poziomski made quick work of Ricardo Pineda at No. 3. The Purdue senior took the first set, 6-0, before cruising to a 6-3 second set win to give the Boilermakers a 2-0 lead. Mateus Silva brought the team within one point of victory after dominating at No. 6. The Purdue freshman was almost perfect in the first set over Dan Hyman, winning 6-1, and continued his success winning 6-1 in set No. 2.
The Boilermakers clinched the win over Wright State (5-5) with a dominant performance from Dujovne at No. 5, winning 6-4, 6-0.
In the evening match, Purdue faced Valparaiso. With the win, the Boilermakers now lead the overall series 4-0 dating back to 1934. The Old Gold and Black changed up the lineup a bit for the evening match and put a freshman pair at No. 3 doubles. Arthur Dobradin and Silva were the first to finish as they defeated Michael Savaglio and Michael Baiocchi, 8-1. Acosta and Dujovne clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win at No. 1. The Purdue duo beat Eric Honert and Lucas Waak.
Valparaiso (4-4) struggled to get things going in singles as well. Dujovne picked up a quick win for Purdue with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Lucas Waak in the No. 5 match. Acosta made the score 3-0, with a dominant win of his own at No. 4. The junior defeated Baiocchi, 6-1, 6-2.
Dobradin clinched the team win with a win at No. 6. The Chicago native won over Brian Hickey, 6-2, 6-2. Poziomski made the score 5-0 with a win at No. 3. The senior beat Savaglio 6-2, 6-3. Evan Hawkins also picked up a singles win on the day, making his spring season debut. Hawkins defeated Chris Baum, 6-1, 7-6 in the No. 2 match. Szymon Tatarczyk completed the shutout for the Boilermakers with a come-from-behind win at No. 1. After dropping the first set, 6-7, Tatarczyk battled back and defeated Honert 6-1, 11-9.
The Boilermakers will host Arkansas next Saturday at Noon at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
Purdue 7, Wright State 0
1. Acosta/Dujovne (PUR) def. Joblin/Clark (WSU) 8-6
2. Tatarczyk/Krocsko (PUR) unfinished Makikalli/Lyzwa (WSU) 6-6 uf.
3. Poziomski/Kovacs (PUR) def. Neuman/Harris (WSU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1*
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Lauri Makikalli (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Hayden Joblin (WSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Ricardo Pineda (WSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Michael Lyzwa (WSU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Dan Hyman (WSU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) def. Evan Neuman (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5*, 2, 4, 1
Purdue 7, Valparaiso 0
1. Acosta/Dujovne (PUR) def. Honert/Waak (VU) 8-6
2. Poziomski/Kovacs (PUR) unfinished Baum/Oakes (VU) 7-7 uf.
3. Silva/Dobradin (PUR) def. Savaglio/Baiocchi (VU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1*
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Eric Honert (VU) 6-7, 6-1, 11-9
2. Evan Hawkins (PUR) def. Chris Baum (VU) 6-1, 7-6
3. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Michael Savaglio (VU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Michael Baiocchi (VU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Lucas Waak (VU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Arthur Dobradin (PUR) def. Brian Hickey (VU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6*, 3, 2, 1