Feb. 2, 2014
WACO, Texas - Diego Acosta picked up his second win of the season, but it wasn't enough as the No. 73 Purdue men's tennis team fell to seventh-ranked Baylor, 6-1, at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center Sunday. The loss evens the Boilermakers record at 1-1, 0-0 Big Ten, while the Bears improved to 4-0, 0-0 Big 12.
Acosta was responsible for Purdue's point, posting a 6-3, 6-2 win over Baylor's Robert Verzaal. It is the second straight-set victory for the Cuenca, Ecuador, native, as he improves to 2-0 at the No. 5 singles position.
The win from the junior was too little too late for the Boilermakers. Julian Lenz and Verzal topped Mateus Silva and Acosta at the No. 3 doubles spot, 6-1, followed by a 6-4 win for Tony Lupieri and Vince Schneider over the Boilermaker tandem of Mark Kovacs and Aaron Dujovne to take the doubles point for the Bears.
Purdue fell at the Nos. 2 and 4 singles in straight sets and trailed 3-0 before Acosta got a point on the board for the Boilermakers. Baylor also took Nos. 3 and 6 in straight sets. At the No. 1 spot, Szymon Tatarczyk took seventh-ranked Patrick Pradella down to the wire, but fell in the breaker, 6-1, 6-5 (9-7).
The dual match was played under the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's mandated experimental format. The three doubles matches each consisted of one set to six, with no-ad scoring and a tiebreaker at 5-all. Once a team won two doubles matches, the remaining doubles match was not completed. Six singles matches followed the doubles. Each singles match was two out of three sets, with each set using no-ad scoring and a tiebreaker at 5-all in each set. For more information on the experimental format, please click here.
The Boilermakers will play on the road for a second straight weekend when they travel to Fayetteville, Ark., to take on the No. 63 Razorbacks at 2 p.m. ET on Feb. 9.
No. 7 Baylor 6, No. 73 Purdue 1 | Box Score
1. Patrick Pradella/Mate Zsiga (Baylor) vs. Ricky Medinilla/Szymon Tatarczyk (Purdue), unfinished
2. Tony Lupieri/Vince Schneider (Baylor) def. Mark Kovacs/Aaron Dujovne (Purdue) 6-4
3. Julian Lenz/Robert Verzaal (Baylor) def. Diego Acosta/Mateus Silva (Purdue) 6-1
1. No. 7 Patrick Pradella (Baylor) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (Purdue) 6-1, 6-5 (9-7)
2. No. 2 Julian Lenz (Baylor) def. Mark Kovacs (Purdue) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mate Zsiga (Baylor) def. No. 96 Ricky Medinilla (Purdue) 6-1, 6-4
4. No. 92 Tony Lupieri (Baylor) def. Aaron Dujovne (Purdue) 6-0, 6-2
5. Diego Acosta (Purdue) def. Robert Verzaal (Baylor) 6-3, 6-2
6. Vince Schneider (Baylor) def. Mateus Silva (Purdue) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1