Dec. 27, 2011
Purdue Football Postgame Notes
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
Dec. 27, 2011
- The Boilermakers made their 16th all-time bowl appearance and their second in Detroit (also the 2007 Motor City Bowl).
- Raheem Mostert’s 99-yard kickoff return in the second quarter was the fifth-longest in school history in any game (100 yards four times) and the longest in Little Caesars Pizza Bowl and Purdue bowl history.
- It was also the first kickoff return for a touchdown in Purdue’s bowl history.
- Purdue’s yards rushing in the game were a school bowl record (180 yards in the 1980 Bluebonnet Bowl).
- Purdue’s four interceptions in the game tied the school bowl record.
- The Boilermakers converted a turnover (Evans INT) into a touchdown (Pegram 1-yard reception) for the seventh time this season.
- The Boilermakers recovered two onside kicks in a game for the first time since Nov. 7, 2009 (at Michigan).
- Purdue’s 27 points in the first half were third-most scored in the first 30 minutes by a Boilermaker bowl team in school history (34 points in the 1978 Peach Bowl and the 2007 Motor City Bowl).
- Purdue rushed for over 200 yards for the fifth time this season. Including tonight, the Boilermakers are 11-1 all-time under Danny Hope when rushing for 200 or more yards.
- Akeem Shaver’s 44-yard rush in the first quarter was the longest of his Boilermaker career and tied for the second-longest in a bowl game in school history (also Vinny Sutherland, 2000 Outback Bowl vs. Georgia).
- Shavers’ final rushing yardage total was a Purdue bowl record.
- Albert Evans picked off his second pass of the season and the third of his Purdue career in the first quarter.
- Antavian Edison’s in-traffic 23-yard reception in the first quarter improved his streak to 21 consecutive games with a catch.
- Reggie Pegram’s 1-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was the first aerial score of his collegiate career.
- Gerald Gooden picked off the first two passes of his career.
- Wiggs’ 49-yard field goal in the second quarter was the second-longest in Little Caesars Pizza Bowl history and in a bowl game by any Boilermaker kicker.
- Carson Wiggs recovered his own onside kick in the second quarter.
- Taylor Richards intercepted his first career pass in the fourth quarter.