Purdue vs. Eastern Kentucky Game Notes
Sept. 1, 2012
Purdue 48 - Eastern Kentucky 6
- Purdue is now 1-0 all-time against Eastern Kentucky as Saturday was the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
- Head coach Danny Hope is now 52-43 in his coaching career, including a 17-21 mark at Purdue.
- The Boilermakers are now 74-45-6 overall in their first game of the season dating to 1887.
- Purdue is now 82-29-3 all-time when playing an opponent for the first time. Eastern Kentucky is the 114th school to play the Boilermakers in program history.
- The Boilermakers had 547 yards of total offense, including 372 yards passing on 37-of-47.
- Ten different Boilermakers carried the ball for a combined 175 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
- The Purdue quarterbacks completed passes to 12 different receivers.
- Purdue punted just once, converting 12-for-15 on third down and 1-for-1 on fourth down.
- The Boilermaker defense held EKU to 190 yards, its lowest amount since Southeast Missouri on Sept. 17, 2011. The 85 yards allowed in the air are also the lowest total allowed since that game.
- Purdue allowed just 10 first downs on the day (five rushing, five passing).
- The Boilermakers forced at least four turnovers for the second straight game, following last year's Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. The game had nine combined turnovers.
- Purdue had 36:11 time of possession.
- The Boilermakers committed just three penalties in the game, each for just five yards.
- Purdue's offensive line surrendered just one sack on the day.
- Robert Marve connected with Gary Bush for the first touchdown of the 2012 season.
- Marve finished with a career-high 295 yards passing, completing 30-of-38 passes. His three touchdown passes match his collegiate best and are his most as a Boilermaker.
- Rob Henry returned to quarterback for the first time since 2010, connecting on 7-of-9 passes for 77 yards and a touchdown.
- Akeem Shavers totaled 74 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries.
- Kurt Freytag punched in his first career touchdown on his second career carry.
- Antavian Edison collected a reception for the 22nd straight game in his career. He finished with seven catches for 58 yards and a touchdown, the ninth of his career.
- Gary Bush had a career-high six receptions for 43 yards and a touchdown.
- O.J. Ross grabbed a career-high eight receptions, totaling 71 yards.
- Justin Sinz grabbed his first career touchdown catch, hauling in a 15-yard strike from Rob Henry in the fourth quarter.
- Dolapo Macarthy, Charles Torwudzo and Shane Mikesky each had their first career reception.
- Kawann Short blocked his fifth and sixth career kicks, stuffing a PAT attempt and a field goal in the second quarter. He also notched his first sack of the season and 13.5 for his career.
- Short blocked a field goal and a PAT in 2010, two field goals in 2011 and one of each in today's opener. His four career field goal blocks leave him one shy of tying the Purdue career record.
- Landon Feichter grabbed his first career interception, returning it for his first career touchdown.
- Will Lucas intercepted his second career pass, and first since 2010. He posted six tackles, including three solo and one for loss. vFrankie Williams led the Boilermakers in tackles in his first career game, totaling seven takedowns, five solo stops and one for loss.