Feb. 12, 2012
PURDUE BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Purdue (16-9, 6-6) vs. Northwestern (15-9, 5-7)
February 12, 2012 - Keady Court at Mackey Arena - Attendance: 14,155
Purdue Boilermakers 87, Northwestern Wildcats 77
- With the win, Matt Painter is now 154-73 in his career at Purdue.
- The Boilermakers are 98-15 at Mackey Arena under the direction of Matt Painter.
- Purdue is now 7-2 this season in games following a loss.
- The win gives Purdue a season sweep of Northwestern, the first multi-game sweep since 2007-08. The Boilermakers beat Northwestern in Evanston on Jan. 28 by two points, 58-56.
- The Boilermakers have now beaten Northwestern four games in a row.
- Purdue had only five turnovers in the game. This is below its average of 8.9 per game.
- Purdue's bench outscored Northwestern's bench 16 to two, marking the 19th game where Purdue's bench has outscored the opponent's.
- In the past two games, D.J. Byrd has made 10 three-pointers and has combined for 44 points.
TEAM HIGHS AND LOWS
- Purdue had five players with double-digit points: Robbie Hummel with 27, Byrd with 20, Ryne Smith with 14, Terone Johnson with 11 and Kelsey Barlow with 10.
- Hummel scored a season high 27 points in the game.
- Smith had seven rebounds, a season high. He also tied his season high assists with three.
- Hummel's 39 minutes played tied a career high, last time coming on 12/12/09 against Alabama. Smith and Byrd also had career high minutes, with 39 and 36 respectively.
- Byrd had a season high four assists.
- Hummel passed Brian Cardinal for 16th place on Purdue's scoring list. He has now has 1,587 points in his career and is eight away for 15th place.
- Ryne Smith passed Cardinal on Purdue's career three-point field goals attempted list. He is now No. 10 with 359.
- Hummel cracked the top 15 with his 12 made free throws tonight. He holds the 15th spot with 356, three short of Carl Landry at No. 14.
- Hummel jumped three spots on the minutes played with his 39 minutes tonight. He is now No. 13.