Ross-Ade Seating Chart
Ross-Ade Stadium (850 Beering Drive)
Take I-65 North to State Road 25 (exit 175).
Take a left on State Road 25, towards Lafayette, for approximately 1 mile.
Turn right on U.S. 52. Stay on U.S. 52 for approximately 2 miles to Yeager Road (fourth stoplight).
Turn left on Yeager Road.
Turn left on Northwestern Ave. (first stoplight).
For Football Parking: Follow traffic signs for permit parking or non-permit parking.
For Mackey Arena, Holloway Gymnasium, Lambert Fieldhouse and Mollenkopf Athletic Center: Follow Northwestern Ave. for approximately 0.5 mile. Parking for Mackey Arena, Hollway Gymnasium, Lambert Fieldhouse and Mollenkopf Athletic Center is on the right.
Take I-65 South to State Road 43 (exit 178).
Turn right off ramp.
Follow State Road 43 approximately 7 miles to the fourth stoplight (State Street/State Road 26 West).
Turn right on State Road 26 (State Street).
Turn right at second stoplight (Grant Street).
Follow Grant Street to next stoplight.
Turn left on Northwestern Avenue.
For Football Parking: Follow traffic signs for permit parking or non-permit parking.
For Mackey Arena, Holloway Gymnasium, Lambert Fieldhouse and Mollenkopf Athletic Center: Follow Northwestern Ave. for approximately 0.5 mile. Parking for Mackey Arena, Holloway Gymnasium, Lambert Fieldhouse and Mollenkopf Athletic Center is on the right.
Nestled on the northern edge of the Purdue University campus, Ross-Ade Stadium is the home of Boilermaker Football.
From 2001 to 2003, Ross-Ade underwent a $70 million renovation that has made it one of the most attractive and fan-friendly facilities in all of college football.
A unique alignment of conditions - blistering heat and an aging irrigation system - resulted in the playing surface literally coming up in pieces in the fall of 2005. At the conclusion of the season, a team of experts led by athletics director Morgan J. Burke and former head coach Joe Tiller set out to chart a long-term solution for the field. Although typically thought of as a turf better suited to well south of the Mason-Dixon Line, the Purdue turf team scouted sites in Maryland and Virginia and came away convinced a cold-tolerant strain of Bermuda grass was the best permanent fix. Sod was laid in June of 2006, and Ross-Ade became the first Big Ten stadium with a Bermuda surface.
During the summer of 2007, a new 31-foot by 68-foot Daktronics video board, priced at $1.7 million, was installed at the south end of Ross-Ade that significantly enhanced replay and other entertainment possibilities.
Ross-Ade was dedicated Nov. 22, 1924, in a game against intrastate rival Indiana (the Boilermakers won 26-7). The stadium is named for its two principal benefactors, alumni David E. Ross, late president of the Board of Trustees, and the late George Ade, playwright and humorist. It was Ross who conceived the idea for the stadium and selected the site. He and Ade purchased and presented to the university the 65-acre tract on which the stadium is located.
The stadium's original seating capacity was 13,500 (with standing room for an additional 5,000). Six expansions, plus end zone bleacher seating, eventually raised it to 69,200 in 1970. Capacity presently is 62,500.
Through the 2012 season, Purdue has an all-time record in Ross-Ade of 271-163-13, a .621 winning percentage.
Ross-Ade features the Prescription Athletic Turf (PAT) system. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, when most collegiate stadiums were being converted to artificial turf, two Purdue staffers, William H. Daniel and Melvin Robey, developed PAT, installing it in the stadium in the spring of 1975 at a cost of approximately $125,000.
Known as the perfect compromise between natural grass and artificial turf, PAT can keep the field playable and virtually divot-proof, even during a storm dumping one inch of rain per hour. A network of pipes connected to pumps capable of extracting water from the turf or watering it makes the system work. The pipes are located 16 inches below the surface and covered with a mixture of sand and fill.
The largest crowd ever to see a game in Ross-Ade is 71,629 against Indiana on Nov. 22, 1980.
Purdue Home Fields
|1889-1891||Lafayette YMCA park|| 5-0|
|1924-|| Ross-Ade Stadium|| 271-163-13|
Ross-Ade Stadium Milestone Wins
|1||11/22/1924|| Purdue 26, Indiana 7|
|100||9/18/1965||Purdue 38, Miami (Ohio) 0|
|200|| 11/9/1996|| Purdue 9, Michigan 3|
Milestones In Ross-Ade Stadium History
Sept. 6, 1922 - At a welcome reception and dinner for President Edward Elliott, alumni David Ross and George Ade announce that they have purchased a 65-acre dairy farm on the outskirts of West Lafayette to be used as a site for a football stadium and other intercollegiate athletics facilities. Ross chose the site because a valley at the southern end of the property afforded easy completion as a stadium.
June 2, 1924 - Work begins on construction of Ross-Ade Stadium under the direction of A.E. Kemmer, Class of 1902, as general contractor. George Spitzer, member of the Class of 1889 and a Purdue professor, and his wife donate three city lots at the south end of the 65-acre tract to serve as an entry to the stadium. The lots are now the site of Cary Quadrangle; the courtyard within the Quad, Spitzer Court, honors the gift.
Nov. 22, 1924 - Purdue dedicates Ross-Ade Stadium, which debuts with 13,500 seating capacity and standing room for an additional 5,000 in the north end of the stadium. The Boilermakers win the Homecoming matchup over Indiana 26-7.
1930 - Concrete is poured in the north bend of the stadium, where the earth had been terraced for standing room since 1924. The playing field is moved 15 yards farther north. The new capacity is 23,074, although temporary seating and standing room are available at the upper edge of the seating bowl. A new press box is constructed on the east side of the stadium. The original press box had been on the west side.
1949 - Temporary bleachers that had been perched at the top of the original seating area are removed and permanent steel grandstands are built on the west side of the stadium. From the time of the completion of the north end in 1930 to the late 1940s, temporary stands had been installed around the top of the original bowl. The new capacity is 51,295.
1950 - A new press box is added on the west side of the stadium.
1955 - Permanent steel stands are erected on the east side, replacing temporary stands. The new capacity is 55,500.
1957 - The cinder track that was part of the 1924 construction is removed, and a fence is erected between the playing field and seating area.
1964 - The playing field is lowered by seven feet and 13 rows of seats added. The new seating capacity is 60,000. Sloping, semicircular sidewalks are built to connect the locker rooms to the playing field, and a walkway is provided at the base of the seating area.
1969 - The last of the temporary bleachers at the top of the original seating area in the north end are replaced with permanent seating, bringing capacity to 68,000. A new scoreboard is built south of the playing field. An additional level is added to the press box.
1970 - Larger bleachers south of the playing field are installed, adding an additional 1,200 seats. The largest crowd in Ross-Ade history, 69,357, views the Nov. 21 game against Indiana. Subsequent additions of handicapped-accessible seating and other seating changes reduce capacity to 67,332.
1975 - Prescription Athletic Turf is developed by Purdue staffers W. H. Daniel and Melvin Robey and installed at a cost of approximately $125,000. The PAT system features a network of pipes connected to pumps capable of keeping the field playable, even during a storm dumping one inch of rain per hour.
1985 - The home team locker room beneath the east stands is renovated, and a visiting team locker room is built in the southwest corner of the stadium.
1990 - A $1 million electronic scoreboard and message center are built at the south end of the stadium. An auxiliary board is installed in the north end.
1994 - The fence around the playing field is removed, and the adjoining walkways are replaced with sod.
1997 - The south scoreboard message center is replaced with a $3 million Sony JumboTron, which provides live coverage and instant replays.
2001 - Work begins on the $70 million first phase of a massive renovation of the home of the Boilermakers. Capacity for the 2002 season is 66,295.
2003 - Renovation is completed, and capacity is 62,500.
2006 - The field is resodded, with a deep-rooting and cold-tolerant strain of Bermuda grass. Ross-Ade becomes the first Big Ten stadium with a Bermuda surface.
2007 - A new 31-foot by 68-foot Daktronics video board, priced at $1.7 million, is installed at the south end of Ross-Ade that will significantly enhance replay and other entertainment possibilities.
2012 Stadium Information
Accessible Seating: Fans requiring special assistance are urged to make all ticketing arrangements through the ticket office well in advance. Call 765/494-3194 or 800/49-SPORT.
Concessions: Concession stands, managed by Learfield Levy, LLC, offer a wide selection of food and drinks. Stands outside the stadium open three hours prior to kickoff. In-stadium stands open one and a half hours before kickoff.
First Aid: First aid stations are located on the concourse at Sections 111 and 119.
Game-Day Emergencies: Ticket holders should give caregivers or family members the section, row and seat number of their tickets. In case of an emergency, caregivers should contact the Purdue Police at 765/494-8221. Officers will go to your seat and inform you of the emergency. Paging over the public address system is not allowed.
Groups: Group tickets are available for all home games, subject to availability. To quality for discount ticket prices, a minimum of 25 tickets must be purchased. For more information, call 765/494-9476 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org,
Lost and Found: Report or claim articles on the concourse of Section 115 or behind the south end zone bleachers. Articles not claimed during or immediately after the game are turned over to the Athletic Ticket Office (765/494-3194).
Private Use: The Ross-Ade Stadium Pavilion and optional catering services are available for private functions and meetings. For rates and information, call 765/496-2534.
Restrooms: Restrooms are located under the stadium grandstands. Additional facilities on the north and south concourses are available outside the stadium prior to kickoff.
Souvenirs: Purdue merchandise is available from the Purdue Pride team store, located at the northeast corner of the stadium, or from stands located throughout the concourse. Shop before or after the game online at purduesports.com. Request a merchandise catalog at 800/760-7041.
Tickets: To pick up will-call tickets or to purchase tickets, go to the Athletic Ticket Office located in Mackey Arena. On game day, the ticket office opens three hours prior to kickoff or 9 a.m., whichever is later, and remains open until the start of the third quarter. Purdue player guest will-call is at Gate J, recruit will-call is at Gate K and the visitor's pass gate is located between Gates G and H. Photo identification is required for pickup of will-call tickets. Please visit purduesports.com and click on TICKETS for more information regarding Purdue football tickets.
You: You, our guests, are the focus of everything we do. The Purdue athletics staff is here to make your Ross-Ade Stadium experience a special and memorable one. Enjoy the game, have a great day - and BOILER UP! HAMMER DOWN!